Thursday, November 29, 2007

Oh boy

So I'm not doing a very good job of keeping up with my blog, but as the saying goes, I'll soldier on the best I can. I have decent reasons for my neglect however. My law school carreer has crossed a threshold and I now find myself on the downward slope toward the end. A few observations, at this point in my law school carreer.

I am now a retired moot court competitor. I made it pretty far - won our intra-school tournament, won best brief for that competition, and was selected to be on our school's national team. That means that I was one of four people (out of nearly 2000 students) selected, quite an honor. We competed at the regional tournament a couple weeks ago, and although I made the best arguments I've ever made, we did not advance. So endeth this chapter in my studies. It was a blast while it lasted, and I'm still involved in our school's moot court program - I help out with the first year competition, I judge/help with practice rounds, and next term I will be a TA for the intra-school class. But for all intents and purposes, I'm finished with moot court. Now I can focus on the classes I have left - in a way, a relief. Moot court is very time consuming. I'm glad to have had the opportunity however, and I know how great it looks on my resume.

I only have six exams left in my law school carreer. Two this term, four next term, and my last term I will be taking classes with no exams. The end is near!

I met this week with a carreer counselor, and over winter break I will be working on my resume, cover letters, and beginning a job/externship search. I'm looking for an externship 2000 miles away from where I'm going to school, so it will be difficult. My carreer counselor wants me to make a list of 40 possible employers, and put together resumes/cover letters/writing samples/recommendation letters for all of them by January. Yikes! The end is approaching fast! I have three professors who will write recommendations for me, so that's good.

I will have 55/90 credits after this term. After next term, I will have 69/90. I'm almost done!!! Frankly, I'm ready to be finished and get out there and find a job. Law school has been a blast, but I am getting bored with classwork, I want to do the real work.

So here I am, at the crossroads, ready to move on. It's exciting and daunting at the same time. I welcome it either way.

No comments: