Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Wish I had taken a picture

Two nights ago, we were visited by a bat. Sometime around midnight my dogs started to go nuts, and it didn't take long to figure out why. I am pretty sure that it was a little brown bat, based on its size - it was about the size of my hand, maybe a 7 or 8 inch wingspan. After a few moments of 'what the hell do I do' while my dogs futilely try to catch this thing flying around in my hallway, the bat helped me (and herself) out greatly by flying into my bathroom. I shut her in, opened the window, and she was gone by morning.

I did get a good look at her once in the bathroom though. She sat perched on the wall above the window, and with her wings all folded in she was about the size of my cell phone. When I opened the window she flew around a bit more but not for long, and I noticed that her body was very small, so she must have been a juvenile. Now I wish I had grabbed a camera and taken a picture or two. Oh well, maybe she'll come back and visit.

No comments: